Thursday, March 12, 2009

No longer a teenager......




The world wide web is twenty years old today - wow !!

As someone over the age of 40 I can remember when I first encountered email about 15 years ago and when I developed my first website on a 386 Mz laptop with 4M RAM !!

Of course my kids take it all for granted & I bore them all to death explaining how a hyperlink works.

But just take a few moments to think about the revolution which has occurred over the last 20 years. The information which is available at the click of a mouse, the ability to send instant messages to someone on the other side of the world, the ability to publish and be damned.

The international barriers to communication will never be erected again, the progress to democracy is inevitable, the freedom to publish and debate can never be censored.

Of course not everything about the web is great, we all know the dangers it can present to sensitive minds and like everything else can be a force for evil as well as good. (& I choose those terms deliberately)

When I've finished this article I will place a link on Twitter & hopefully some of you out there will read it and ponder.

Happy Birthday World Wide Web !!!!!

No comments: